The benefits of having to rest.

It began Friday evening doing the shopping when out of nowhere my back decided to spasm suddenly turning me into Igor as my knees buckled and face contorted in pain and my right arm swung around to support my back and stop the twinge... from there it was all downhill. A restless night where no matter which way I turned, my back locked in pain which resulted in sleeping upright on the couch with a heated wheat bag jammed up against my back and a weekend of doing very little. 

There was no excuse now. I had to write and write I did.

So far I have planned every piece of writing I have done. Mapped it out, written a plot, all the good things I was taught to do in high school English class. And yes, for the most part, it works. I know where the story is headed and I know where it will end, but I never quite get the flow. It's an effort to construct a tale that starts at A and has to marry up with B for the plot to continue. I, therefore decided that I would wing it, or pants it as they say in writing terms and off I went.

I don't know where the story is headed and I am not sure if it will peter out, but what I do know is that I have never written so many words in one sitting. I feel I have finally got to that point where writers say, don't think, just write and it's liberating. Something I have also done is written in a style I am comfortable with. I am a first person writer. I am not big on writing flowery description or painting a scene, though I have written that way and it has its merits, nothing flows quite so well as the inner dialogue of someone telling their story.

So here's to writing by the seat if my pants. Let's see where it gets me! :)

In my world of health and fitness, I am close to 6kgs down and feeling better for it, but my exercise has dropped right off which I am not happy about, so when a friend suggested I do the Bloody Long Walk with her, I thought here is the motivation I have been waiting for to get back on track (literally). Of course, best of intentions and all to get out there this weekend and hammer out 10kms fell on its backside the minute I stumbled around the shopping centre like something out of Mary Shelley's imagination. But there is always next week...slowly I'll turn, step by step... :) Besides I have to will myself to get better quickly as relying on the Physicist to look after me won't work. I asked for a glass of water this evening and this is what I got. Half a litre of water in a Pyrex jug!
 AUDIO BOOKS! The best invention since sliced bread. I finally finished American Gods. I am not doubting that Neil Gaiman is a clever man, but I found the book rambled on too long for me. It did tie up nicely in the end and it was fascinating learning about how he came to write the book. I am looking forward to seeing the interpretation of the book the TV series they have created. The book is very visual and will look good on film.

I am now listening to The Handmaiden's Tale by Margaret Atwood. It's narrated by Joanna David who has a Judy Dench like quality to her voice. It is so calming that I fell asleep listening to it and have missed several chapters of the story. I will have to rewind. Give me a book narrated by an English narrator any day over American. Their accents are not so harsh. I am loving the book by the way. It was suggested again by the Physicist so I was taking a chance, but it is not by a writer he would normally read, so he chose it with my taste in mind. In paper copy, I am still reading Dregs by Jorn Lier Horst. It's a murder thriller which I love to read. I don't have to think too hard and it's fast paced. Lined up after that is The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. We critiqued an excerpt of the book in Inklings last week and I liked the way it was written, so I am looking forwards to reading the rest of the book.

That's about all for this week. Fingers crossed for the Physicist who has his exams these next two weeks and will be slightly stressed and fingers crossed that my back gets better so I can hit the pavement/ treadmill/ bike...anything to get my fitness up again.

Until then keep doing what you love.

xxx
Fatty



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An inspiring year ahead

Bit the Bullet

Closing the week creatively.