Write a Novel in Ten Minutes a Day... Nice title, but not realistic

They say to be a writer, you just have to write, which is all well and good, but when I feel like writing, everything else is not willing to be placed on hold so that I can. Dinner needs to be cooked, washing needs to be done, and I have to start spending some time with the family or they are going to think I am just the maid and not someone who has an emotional connection to the other humans who dwell in the house.

This weekend, though we had an extra day to while away, started rather dramatically with my daughter having a car accident on Friday afternoon (fortunately she was OK but her car will no longer see the light of day), and everything kind of piled on from there. I did manage quite a bit of quality family time, I even exercised every day of the weekend and I managed to deforest the front garden for green waste pick up. I cooked every night and managed to clean the house...but I did not write a single thing! I barely managed to read a couple of chapters of my book. :(

I have a writing reference book that will teach me to write a novel in ten minutes a day... because my dreams are worth 10 minutes, apparently. It's a lovely idea, it really is and it starts by asking you to get your family involved sharing the household chores (obviously in an attempt to free up your time). What the author doesn't quite understand is that I have more chores than family. The Physicist is chained to his computer studying (exam time coming up), my eldest daughter is not stupid and makes herself scarce over the weekend and spends time working or with her BF, which leaves either myself and my youngest or if I am lucky, like this weekend, I also have my step-daughter as well. 

Now if I followed the book and the author's six steps to organising my time and getting my family involved in the chores, which are;
Step 1. Show them how don't just tell them, 
Step 2. Set them up to succeed, 
Step 3. Be patient, 
Step 4. Encourage them, 
Step 5. Model a Good attitude, 
Step 6. Give yourself grace
I wouldn't have had any weekend/ month left at all (let's be honest those six steps require years of conditioning to be successful). So the reality was, Sunday was spent drawing out chores on pieces of paper from a bowl and then trading them until each was happy with what chores they had, after half an hour of eye rolling and objection. In all honesty though, if I had placed a list in the bowl of what REALLY needed to be done, I would have had DCP on my doorstep accusing me of child labour, so I was happy for them to take 3 chores each.

Now one may think that dividing out those chores would have freed up my Sunday, and you are right, it did; I managed to mow the back lawn, clip the bushes in the front yard, clip and saw branches of two trees, pull out two dead shrubs, trim the plants overhanging and brushing against the cars and sweep the driveway. I then spent the evening exhausted and in traction due to my sciatica being inflamed (it just loves gardening). Consequently, there was no writing done on Sunday. Saturday and Monday were not much better, but I do feel accomplished knowing that the garden is clear for a few weeks at least.

Inklings this week was great once again. I love the notes we get and the way we get to analyse particular books (it also gives me suggestions as to what books I should read next... like The Rosie Project). I do need to develop my confidence in critiquing other member's works. I don't feel I am educated enough to offer solid advice on people's work who have clearly been writing longer than I have. It will come as I learn more. I just hope they don't think I am being rude when I don't have much to offer.


Back to the grind tomorrow and another busy week. I just have to take each day as a new challenge and get the most out of it.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An inspiring year ahead

Bit the Bullet

Closing the week creatively.